[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Comments on Lynn's draft.

I just submitted the attached comments to icannwatch.org.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

According to a Note to the ICANN community (which is not included in my printed version of the text), the Discussion Draft titled A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS which was posted on the ICANN web site has been authored by ICANN's new president and CEO, M. Stuart Lynn.

This draft is not a masterpiece.

From the abstract on, the draft contains ample speculations on the insular motives alternative root advocates are suspected to have - but few evidence for this allegation. Lynn then claims that alternative roots' decisions to include particular top level domains have not been subjected to the same tests of community support and conformance with the public trust - as what? As the TLDs which will be included with the canonical root? He concludes that ICANN should give no preference to those who choose to work outside of (ICANN's) processes, and outside of the policies engendered by this public trust.

In the first section of the actual text, Lynn talks about technical needs for a single authoritative root. Among his various arguments, point 2 particularly interesting:

typing in a web site address at two different computers configured to reference different roots can result in reaching different web sites - a particularly disturbing possibility if, for exampple, money is to change hands or privacy or security concerns are violated.

Of course, this argument is quite weak - after all, establishing the identity of your correspondent is a problem which is created by the very fact that DNS adds a layer of indirection between "I want to talk to ABC bank", and "I'm contacting abc-bank.de". (This is an actual case - there were two regional ABC banks established in the late 19th century, indepedently of each other. They clashed in the late 20th century over domain name questions. Ups.) If the use of the wrong root server directs your money the wrong way you certainly have other problems than the alternative roots.

Also quite interesting is argument number 5, cache poisoning. In particular, Lynn writes:

Because the DNS assumes a single-root system, resource records are not marked to distinguish them according to the root from which they emanate.

Keep this in mind: RRs don't carry information on the root from which they come. Says Lynn, in this section.

Section two of Lynn's draft is titled The Public Trust in Coordinated Assignment Functions. This section talks about the need for a central ICANN, and about the process which finally lead to the creation of the incarnation we are dealing with. What's not mentioned is more interesting: On the one hand, the fact that even ICANN depends on the consensus of users and system administrators who decide not to use an alternative root - or just don't decide and go with their software's default configuration. On the other hand the strong network effects which will occur quite naturally in the domain name market, and may indeed make ICANN's monopoly a natural one.

As a consequence of this, the White Paper and much of the process which should be used with ICANN, seems to be used as a justification for a single root - which is actually a circular argument. After all, we probably wouldn't need this entire process in a world in which reasonable competition to ICANN would be possible. Market forces could be relied upon instead.

Section three of the draft finally talks about the new TLDs. We find more references to the white paper, and about ICANN's accountability. Note, in particular, the following sentence from the White Paper which Lynn quotes:

As Internet names increasingly have commercial value, the decision to add new top-level domains cannot be made on an ad hoc basis by entities or individuals that are not formally accountable to the Internet community.

That part about formal accountability to the community is, I suppose, open for debate.

The usual proof of concept argument follows: Completely ignoring existing - say - pseudo-gTLDs such as .TV, the first round of new TLDs is described as a

proof of concept of the technical and business feasibility of introducing more TLDs into the DNS.

Of course, no experience was gathered about adding more TLDs over the past years, right?

The section concludes with praise for the SOs - which represent the consensus views of the technical and the user/business/other institutional communities, respectivel (where's that individuals' constituency again?) - and to those who participated in the TLD lottery in Marina del Rey:

They chose to work within the community-based ICANN process, even though they knew that only a "limited number" of TLDs would be selected - at least in the first round

After the white knights have been identified, the black ones can be dealt with in section four, Outside the Process:

There are those who are choosing or have chosen not to work within the ICANN process and within the ICANN policy framework. For their own insular motives, they have launched various "alternative" root systems

Mr Lynn: There's something between black and white. How about .WEB who are in the alternative roots and have applied for a place in the canonical root?

Section five finally talks about experimentation. After identifying a number of reasonable requirements for experimental services, the use of the RR class tag is suggested in order to distinguish alternative roots from the canonical root.

Then, Lynn claims this:

For resource records within the standard root-server system, this class tag is set to "IN". [...] Those that have deployed alternative roots have not used a different class designation, however, choosing instead to have their resource records masquerade as emanating from the standard root, and creating the potential for disruption of other's (sic!) operations.

Si tacuisses...

First, note that the interpretation of the IN class as "masquerading as emanating from the standard root" contradicts Lynn's argument from section two of the draft which we quoted above:

resource records are not marked to distinguish them according to the root from which they emanate

Second, this interpretation contradicts the normal - and generally accepted - use of class IN records within internal networks. Third, using different classes just doesn't make any sense if you want to try different name spaces: Among other things, the IN class is hardcoded into some resolver libraries (I checked the OpenBSD libc source which just skips over any non-IN entries when asked for an IP address - I'm sure they aren't the only ones with this kind of behaviour).

Thus, using RR classes in order to distinguish roots would basically mean that you may have to change a lot of software (not just configuration files) just if you want to use a different root server. This is, of course, not practical.

Let me summarize. The discussion draft tries to argue against alternative roots. Bad enough, we find circular arguments, blantant misinterpretations, and actually obvious contradictions within the draft itself, apparently added for the sake of polemics and empty rhetoric. Serious analysis is mostly missing, despite the announcements made in the introductory note.

There are indeed arguments why alternative, uncoordinated roots may be a bad idea, or may just not have a chance to take off due to network effects. There are arguments why ICANN can be considered as a natural monoply which is kind of controlled by the white paper process. And there are arguments why certain "alternative root TLDs" should be included with ICANN's root. All these arguments should be put onto the table.

Instead, all we are getting is this draft, with the URL threatening that it'll be presented in Stockholm. What a pity.