[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Alternate Roots Issues Paper for Discussion

Saturday, May 26, 2001, 9:25:07 AM, Bruce James wrote:
> With regards to the "problem" of new.net, I suggest a similar variant to
> that above. In my view, the issue with new.net is not that they are creating
> sub-domains that are similar to gTLDs. They should be free to do so, just as
> ccTLDs should be free to do so. The problem is that it appears that new.net
> is misrepresenting how these domains eg, www.your.biz.new.net, are going to
> be able to be promoted eg. as www.your.biz and then working with ISPs
> (anyone else?) to have them conspire with new.net to support this
> misrepresentation by way of corrupting the unique resolution of truncated -
> hence not unique - names.

Just for the record, the above is misinformation.

In fact, New.net's domains are in fact under TLD dns zones.  The
www.yourname.tld.new.net is not in fact the primary way the name is
handled.

Grant implies that they are creating names only as
yourname.tld.new.net and marketing it as second level domains, when in
fact they are creating names as second level domains, and mirroring
them as fourth level domains in order to provide an easier
inter-operability with users who cannot modify their dns settings to
use New.net's actual dns system.

Registrants of new.net domain names are encouraged to setup dns zones
not only for yourname.tld, but for yourname.tld.new.net also, in order
to provide this type of inter-operability.  However, they are not
required to do so in order for the yourname.tld to work for those who
have setup their dns to properly resolve new.net domains.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh