[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Jon Postel

Hi Josh

On Fri, 25 May 2001 08:09:52 -0700, Josh Elliott wrote:

> There are a few details I would dispute, but the only real important one
is
> that IANA only existed until late 1998, which is entirely incorrect.  The
> IANA still exists today under ICANN management, and before ICANN took
> control contractually for IANA, it still operated without the direction of
> Jon Postel in late 1998.

The sentence was taken from an overhead and read:

> The top level DNS system was under the administration of the Internet
> Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and its director John Postel until late
> 1998.

As Jon Postel died on 16 October 1998, I think the author simply meant to
say that IANA was under the direction of Jon Postel "until [his death in]
late 1998".

And not "that IANA only existed until late 1998".

However, thank you for your clarification.  Ir is certainly ambiguous.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss