[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings

On Sun, 13 May 2001 21:07:35 +1000, Dassa wrote:

> Perhaps we should be discussing if ICANN needs to adopt a policy to deal
> with other root zones?  If so, what that policy should be.

Thank you, Dassa, from the bottom of my heart.  Have you any idea how often
I've said exactly that on this list?

I've put forward a proposal.  We've discussed it at length.  Some people
have said it's on the right track but it needs revision.  It's been proposed
and seconded.  I wrote:

As the role of the DNSO General Assembly is to provide consensus-based
policy input to ICANN, I have asked everybody that they think that
consensus-based policy should be?  I therefore move the following policy
should be adopted by ICANN:

"ICANN adopts compliance with the relevant DNS standards as a general
principle.  It recognises that there is a likelihood of collision and/or
confusion when root operators do not comply with RFC 1591 which suggests
that there should be a "unique root zone*.  ICANN will therefore adopt
methods and measures to foster co-operation and compliance within the
industry."

I'd appreciate any input on wording.  I could take out reference to RFC
1591.

Sincerely
Patrick Corliss