[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] Re: [icann-eu] Letter to Dr. Vint Cerf

This is a bit of an artificial situation. When I go opn the road, I use
local access only for the connectivity. I still use MHSC servers for
everything else (DNS, SMTP, Domain login, etc) using PPTP/SSH/etc tunneling.
This is regardless of client-site, conferences, etc. Call me paranoid, but I
don't do corporate mail and connection through systems I don't trust,
without at least a 64-bit encryption tunnel (and I prefer 128-bit w/
1024-bit PKI). I'm not the only one that does this. If I can't punch a
tunnel through it then I don't use that system (I go back to using the
hotel's system or my own dial-up ports back to the office).

IOW, the argument is moot and behind the technology curve. No one can be
forced to use a particular SMTP, or even a specific DNS, server.

As for the second case, sufficiently serious companies deploy their own DNS
resolving servers and those that run serious traffic, also run their own
zone servers. One of my products is such a zone server cluster, minimum
configuration as $12K. I have more than one customer for that product. I
install ORSC root zone by default. Yes, those customers are very well aware
of that.

This is one of my problems with the NeuStar BIZ TLD, among others, I am now
writing a Java application that  fetches the raw zone files and builds a
master root-zone from the atoms and stuffs it into my CVS repository. Unless
specifically requested by my clients, they will never see the NeuStar BIZ
TLD, as long as Leah stays in business.