[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] Proposed ICANN Policy

At 09:56 PM 5/6/01 +1000, you wrote:

>The main problem is that if ICANN recognises any of the so called
>alternative roots out there, they are under an obligation to recognise them
>all.  That would include any mum and pop outfit that is running their own
>root nameserver.  I run my own root privately as well.  A lot of businesses
>do also.  The majority can not be seen on the Internet and were never
>really intended to be.  But if ICANN recognises some, they must recognise
>them all.  Otherwise they will have to define just what it is they are
>going to recognise and that may be an even bigger can of worms.

That's the point. Currently, the RFC process, and therefore ICANN, does not
recognize the natural diversity of the root. This is the part missing from
RFC2826. But when you sum all the variations of localized roots, you must
still retain unicity within the DNS.

In other words, all the visible roots added together gives you one big
non-conflicting root, or they are local and not publicly visible. This is
what my draft attempts to address. At any rate, it provides some guidance
of how a root should behave to achieve this. I have a better idea how to
word this now, so I'm working on the next version.

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--
It's a feature not a bug...