[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Proposed ICANN Policy

Hi Dassa

> Personally, the approach I would suggest is for ICANN to release large
> numbers of TLD's and then this issue will be resolved by market forces.
> It is only due to an artificial demand for more name space that has caused
> this issue.  If the legacy root name space is increased to cover more
> TLD's this problem will not exist.

It is exactly because ICANN has not released large number of TLDs that the
problem exists in the first place.  More cynical observers believe that
ICANN is deliberately restricting supply in order to keep prices up.

Having said that, it is already ICANN's stated *policy* to release more
TLDs.  All the GA can do is urge ICANN to move more quickly.  There is no
policy change involved.

It is also unlikely that ICANN will release sufficiently *large numbers* to
make the issue disappear entirely.  There are millions of possibilities in
all sorts of languages.  There is also the UDRP issue which does not apply
to alternate TLDs.  They will continue to be operated for that reason only.

I'm sure you agree that ICANN should adopt compliance with the relevant
standards as a general principle.  And to encourage co-operation and
compliance within the industry is hardly a radical notion.

Please tell me what part of that wording you find difficult to accept.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss