[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

On Thursday, May 03, 2001 3:21 PM (AEST), Kent Crispin wrote:
Subject: Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:24:01PM -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> >
> > It is time that ICANN/DoC realize that that they are, in fact, a part of
> > a much larger world than the one root or root system and find a way
> > to cooperate.
>
> You have this exactly backward.  It is the various root consortia that
> have to work around ICANN.

Sorry, some of the root consortia and the TLDS were around long before
ICANN.  Why should ICANN have any greater rights internationally?

In fact, like a war, it doesn't really matter who "started it" except when
being morally righteous.  If you look at Northern Ireland, as an example,
that started hundreds of years ago.   In the end, there has to be a "peace
process" so everyone can get on with their normal lives.

The real question is whether ICANN should have a policy?  What should it be?

BTW I agree with you that ICANN has a consensus framework.  However, there
is little evidence that it is any more than a facade.  That's something we
have yet to determine.

Regards
Patrick Corliss
(as an individual)