[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Smart Browsers

On Tuesday, September 05, 2000 2:05 PM (AEST), Peter de Blanc wrote:
Subject: RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

> How and why do we, as "The Global Internet Community" continue to tolerate
> situation where if one type a name like "ford" or "volvo" into MS Internet
> explorer, or Netscape, the browser tries all combinations of
www.volvo.com,
> www.volvo./net, and www.volvo.org, and does not try such logical combos as
> www.volvo.co.se or www.ford.co.uk, etc.
>
> What is going to happen when the new gTLDs come out? will the browsers try
> www.ford.law  or www.ford.airline  and STILL NOT try www.volvo.se ?
>
> Isn't it time we work on changing what is already there, before we work on
> setting policy on what is not yet there?

Hi Peter

I realise the importance of this issue and have raised it already in
Australia.  I have also included it as an issue on the agenda of the new
[ga-roots] mailing list as follows:

(2)    Real Names & Other Systems
         DNS Directories & "overlay" methods
         Impact of browsers & other technology

It is clear to me that a browser's ability to capture the user has a
significant implication for competition policy in Australia.  If Australians
are using "smart" browsers (designed in America) and they type in say "beer"
on the address line, they might go to the Top Level Domain (.com) and not
the Second Level of the Country Code (.com.au).

I have earlier raised this issue on Domain Policy discussion lists.  A
respected
authority (co-author of The Domain Name Handbook) named Ellen Rony wrote:

> "Smart browsing" would be more effective and less controversial if it were
> "opt in" not "opt out", and if people were able given various criteria by
> which they could get to a site.   It could be by TLD, by trademark owner,
> by date of earliest registration, by keywords.

Ellen Rony          http://www.domainhandbook.com

From a decision-making viewpoint, a criterion not mentioned by Ellen Rony
would be that of "local" or "global".  This feature could form part of the
control settings for the browser in a similar that the time can be altered
for various time zones.

To take an example, Rupert Murdoch controls a corporation called News
Limited whose domain name "news.com.au" happily coincides with the work they
do.  Anybody who wants to catch up with today's news on the internet may
well be guided by the smart browser technology.  This may have a significant
economic impact on the corporation.

I'd suggest, therefore, that this issue is one that relates to the
competitive position of local commerce and industry.  It is interesting,
topical and relevant.  I would appreciate any feedback that members can
provide in understanding this technology and/or its implications for the
promotion of TLDs other than .com.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss