[ga-review] Expired Domains, Transfers
One interesting variation on the scenario.(true story)
Registrant J has a nonprofit.com and a non-profit .org name, registered by
SECONDREGISTRAR and seeks the cheapest registrar for it. He has already
opted out of the automatic renewal scheme.
He finds the website of a mom'npop cheapo registrar and initiates a
transfer procedure. He is informed that there are NO refunds for failed
He goes ahead anyway and asks mom'npop registrar to start with the transfer
of his nonprofit.com
After 5 days, reply comes back that SECONDREGISTRAR refuses to transfer
the name. Reason: too close to expiry date or name has already expired.
Registrant J decides to abandon the .com name, and loose his
transfer/registration fee, but retain and transfer the .org
He initiates the transfer of the nonprofit.org from SECONDREGISTRAR to
He gets an email back from mom'npop registrar:
Your transfer request for the following domain name has been initiated:
Please allow up to 5 business days for the transfer to be completed.
**If your domain name is currently with SECONDREGISTRAR.com, please note the
SECONDREGISTRAR.com will be contacting you via email requesting approval
domain name transfer. You must respond to this email by scrolling to the
bottom of the email then clicking on a link which takes you to
SECONDREGISTRAR.com's website. You will see a white box. Please type "Yes, I
agree to this transfer." Failure to respond within 3 days to
SECONDREGISTRAR.com's email will prevent the domain name transfer from
processing. Please be sure to update your contact email address at
SECONDREGISTRAR.com in order to ensure a successful transfer.
Registrant J waits 5 days, two weeks, a month for this email, and waits......
(here lies the rub, of course. The registrant is completely dependent on
the good faith of the LOSING registrar)
After one months he gets worried that his second domain also gets close to
expiration and he takes action again. He emails both mom'npop and
Mom'npop sends back am automated email that nonprofit.com's transfer failed
and that nonprofit.org is in the works and that he should get his
important email from SECONDREGISTRAR within 5 days.
Registrant J emails mom'npop back that he got nothing for a month and then
gets a reply that both transfers will be re-initiated.
SECONDREGISTRAR sends a non-comprending email back, stating: your website
is accessible and we are your registrars, what is your problem?
J emails again, a bit irritated and makes it clear that it is the transfer
away from SECONDREGISTRAR that is his problem.
Finally, after more than one month and with the expiration of nonprofit.org
looming closer, the email is sent that give access to
SECONDREGISTRAR's website to allow J to ACK the transfer. The usual dire
warnings are delivered via the website.
The rest of this story will follow. It seems that mom'npop has some
stringent identity requirements, such as a copy of a photo ID or drivers'
licence, to be sent by snailmail.
The transfer is not yet completed, but the website is now offline.
--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
This message was passed to you via the email@example.com list.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe
("unsubscribe ga-review" in the body of the message).
Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html