[ga-nominations]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

[ga-nominations] Accepting the nomination

(I'm asking for your pardon if this message's formatting is awful - I'm
on the train currently.)

1a.  Full name of nominee: Thomas Roessler
1b.  E-mail address of the nominee: roessler@does-not-exist.org

1c.  Background information about the nominee:

In real life, I'm a student of mathematics who's almost done.  Besides
that, I'm interested in network security, and I'm the current maintainer
of the mutt mail user agent. Finally, I've been interested in internet
governance for quite some time now, and have been following ICANN
matters rather closely since mid-2000.  One of my first ICANN-related
activities was to start the icann-europe mailing list, which was
reasonably successful at its time, but is rather inactive right now.

Conflicts of interest: I've co-edited a minor standards track RFC, I'm a
.org domain name holder, and I'm maintaining the icann-europe mailing
list.

1d.  Statement of the nominee's objectives in the role as GA Chair

My primary objective is to make the GA mailing list a place where
reasonable and intelligent discourse can take place.  I believe that the
GA will and should have a place in the ICANN process if and only if it
manages to produce coherent and intelligent output, and if it becomes an
environment which may be attractive even to those who do have a live
besides the net.

I don't believe that I'd be able to achieve this all alone: Indeed, by
submitting this acceptance, I hope that I will be elected as chair or
alternative chair (alternative chair-preferred) together with Alexander
Svensson, so we can work as a team.  Even more importantly, what's
needed is the goodwill and activity of the GA's members.  We'll need
volunteers who are willing to help as list monitors, and election
watchdogs.  We'll need volunteers who are willing to represent the GA on
names council task forces, and help to tunnel important discussions and
insights back and forth between the GA and the respective task forces.
We may also need volunteers to chair physical GA sessions if the chair
and the alternative chair are unable to attend such meetings due to time
and budget constraints.

Some initial steps to make the GA a better place include:

* Back the list monitors' decisions.  There's a lot of slander,
off-topic postings, and generally bad manners going on on the GA list.
  This has to stop, even if it means that some members of this mailing
list have to be banned from posting to it for some time.

* Try to help structuring discussions, so they lead to actual results.
  This can just mean asking the right questions, but it can also mean
that a formal drafting and decision-making process is established.  The
Best Practices or, for instance, some process derived from the W3C
working group process could be applied - or some combination of these
(the aspects from the W3C process I'm thinking of are kind of orthogonal
to the Best Practices).

* Try to make it easier to follow the list by producing summaries of
discussions on a more or less regular basis.  Take a look at the kernel
cousins web page to see what I have in mind.  Note that this is not
something the chairs have to do - indeed, just about every member of
this list could volunteer.  Also note that such summaries would only
make sense when there are actually interesting discussions to be
summarized.

* Do some housekeeping: We have quite a few defunct sublists, some of
which have been unused since July.  We should get rid of these.

Finally, a word of warning: I most likely won't be able to attend
in-person meetings of the GA at annual ICANN meetings. I certainly will
not be able to attend such meetings without funding.

PS: An explanation for the timing of this acceptance may be in order, in
particular because I have declined the nomination in a private message
to Elisabeth Porteneuve some time ago.  I had hoped that some candidate
I could support would show up on the list of possible candidates.  In
this case, I would have happily refrained from being a candidate myself,
and would have volunteered to help as a list monitor. This hope also was
the reason for the slew of nominations I sent last night.  Bad enough,
it seems that things didn't work out this way.

Merry christmas,
--
Thomas Roessler (mobile) <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index