[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] DNSO Archives: [ga]

Eric, Don, and all assembly members,

  Yes basically I too am in agreement with Don't comments and
observations.  By in large, they are indeed well founded.  I believe the
essence of Don's comments and observations, are in the basic agreement
with our members position which we have held for some time on the issue
of WLS and policy recommendation to regulation.  The essence as I refer
to here od Don's that Eric referenced from yesterday's archives
are as follows:

========== Don Brown's comments for Archives starts here =====

"The theory behind the WLS proposal, as I read it, was that it
  addressed technical issues which could not otherwise be addressed on a
  technical level. Your comments say, in contrast, that there is no
  immediate technical problem with dropping deletions or, IOW that the
  problem has been solved.

 Since it is no longer broken and, therefore, does not demand a fix,
 then I surmise that the only motivation for a change in the business
 model is for the Registry and certain Registrars to make additional
 revenue from the secondary market, but in a structured and regulated
 way.

 Personally, I am not against anyone making a buck and I support free
 enterprise, democracy and the entrepreneurial spirit. The premise is
 that free enterprise spurs healthy competition, fosters R&D and
 technological advances, drives down the price to the consumer and
 expands the power and capabilities of humankind.  I support those
 ideals and I believe in them.

 Therefore, with all due respect to you and your noble intentions, with
 respect to a workable resolution for this issue, I disagree with your
 proposal for a least two reasons:

1. There is no compelling reason to change anything, since, in
    contrast to the premise behind the WLS proposal, there is nothing to
    fix.

 2. There are already Registrars and others participating, in one
 fashion or another, in the after-market.  The proposal would,
 essentially, thwart healthy competition, since it regulates the price
 and, therefore, service and innovation.

 I do not mean the foregoing to convey the notion that I am resistive
 to change.  In contrast, I remember when RAM was called CORE and I had
 a PC before anyone ever called them by that name.  I am in favor of
 "healthy" change, but I don't view any change with respect to the
 after-market to be either healthy or warranted at this time."

=========  Don's comments from archive's end here ===========

  We at [INEGroup] share with Don or Don shares with us would be
more accurate, there thwarting entrepreneurial enterprise is fundamentally
against in in stark contrast to good free enterprise and a free market.
Those that are against such free market and free enterprise see such
as a threat to their own efforts.  This can be the situation and hence
regulation may be required, appropriate or otherwise desirable for
any number of intrusive basis.  None the less with respect to the
DNSO and the Internet in a broad sense, must be arrived at and in agreement
with the stakeholders as outlined in the White Paper and the MoU.
The WLS proposal does not yet, and is seemingly unlikely to at any time
in the near of mid term, have the support of the largess of stakeholders.
Given that this is the current known situation thus far, the WLS
proposal should not become via fiat as have other policy recommendations
from ICANN such as the UDRP, regulatory acceptance.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> Here is an excellent starting point for discussion,
>
> I hope others will share their great input in a move toward building a
> consensus
> that is helpful, provocative and constructive.
>
> Eric
>
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc09/msg00278.html

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.