[ga-icann]

[ga-icann] the mezzanine consensus level

Dear all who are interested in ICANN restructuring.

It is easy to see that whatever will happen in ICANN in the next 6 months
will see the impact of what happened yesterday in the United States.
I am still a little dazed from the mind numbing shock about what has been
set in motion here.
If we see it as an act of  war and the start of an inevitable war on
shadows, as many do, then, really, all bets are off on ICANN too.

I am still in Montevideo, and, while waiting for my flight out,  I had some
more time to think about the next 6  months for ICANN before I was hit by
the news. Now I have talked f2f to so many participants in the process,
I  have some more clarity of what is realistic in this environment.

I would like to discuss www.democracy.org.nz/idno/montevideo.htm with you.

Do we need a mezzanine consensus making level, such as the DNSO with its NC
was supposed to be, or can we do without it?

If we need it, how to structure it in a way that considers the right balances?

Personally I see the Domanin Name supplier/demandsider division as the only
workable one.

One that typically governments always look at.

That means that the IP lobby has to go up to a sort of Advisory Committee
status and the ISP's should join in a new "bizdomain name owners"
constituency, part of the demandsiders.

Service providers other than Domain Name Registration Service providers,
should  be represented, but outside the DNSO.

The ccTLD's, even if they have their own SO, should still be part of this
new DNSO inside the supplysider wing.

The problem is that the ISP constituency can easily be dominated by the big
telco isp's, who already have the biz constituency

Your thoughts, please.
I am specifically asking the Chair of the Names Council to join in this
discussion and to ask the members of the task force to participate as well.

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.