[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] interesting California law to consider

NameCritic wrote:

> [Dassa]:
> > Why should ICANN talk to competitors.  The only advantages in any
> > cooperation between the legacy name space and others goes to the other
> name
> > spaces.  In any cooperation agreements there has to be a win/win
> situation.
> > I have yet to see any advantages for ICANN, the legacy name space or users
> > that support any attempts to form an agreement.  I can only see
> > disadvantages.  So until the arguments are sound in support of any
> > cooperation I'm afraid it will never get off the ground as a possibility.
> >

> That is exactly where you miss the point. It doesn't NEED TO BENEFIT ICANN!
> The policies are to benefit the users. These are not mega corporations in
> commercial competition. If it was you would be correct. This is a nonprofit
> entity that is supposed to be acting on MY behalf and on the behalf of all
> regular users of the Internet, but instead it is doing just as you stated,
> acting as if it were in a corporate battle for some market share. You
> somehow have gotten it in your head that this is what ICANN is supposed to
> do. Therefore you defend corporate policies that belong somewhere like
> Verisign, AT&T, and GM. The United Way doesn't make a habit of crushing
> smaller Nonprofits nor do they attempt to shut them out. That is what ICANN
> should be following as a nonprofit model not following the other corporate
> examples.

This is why ICANN needs to revert back to its original, technical only function.

It has been co-opted by the big money interests and no longer acts on behalf
of the Internet and its users.  And too many people have quietly accepted that
new role.  (Some years back there was a book about the United States with
the title "A Nation of Sheep."  That's what we've been seeing over way too
many years now, and that is what has to end.)

Bill Lovell

Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.