[ga-icann]

Re[4]: [ga-icann] interesting California law to consider

Hello NameCritic,

Saturday, June 16, 2001, 8:25:08 PM, NameCritic wrote:

> My last post for the day on this. If I enable dns settings for one of the
> other roots, since they are inclusive I can go to com net org AND all the
> others.

BUT, that is only because the alt.root operators DECIDED to include
them.  They are not REQUIRED to.

Of course, being in a minority position, they have little choice
practically, but the bottom line is that they do NOT have to, and the
only reason those TLDs are included is for self preservation purposes.

> By not doing so my choices are limited to whatever ICANN approves.

As it is your choice is limited to whatever the alt.root managers
approve.

It just so happens that they know that if they don't grant a default
approval to the com/net/org/edu/gov/mil/int/ccTLDs that they would
never get any penetration at all.

> The funny thing in all this is that you are asking everyone to trust a bunch
> of lawyers to look out after our best interests and you expect us to buy
> that.

No, that isn't what he or me or anyone else is asking.

The problem is that you are too blind to see what we are saying.

You are so antiICANN without any possibility of being otherwise, that
you assume that anyone who doesn't blindly agree with the alt.root
position that let's any person who wants to create a TLD is 100%
behind everything ICANN says/does.

All I can say to that is that if you want people to take you
seriously, and see you as a part of trying to bring about real change,
then you need to take a step back.

The free for all anarchy that is the alt.root system is NOT going to
ever win.  NEVER.

And to be honest, it shouldn't win.  The principle they have that
let's anyone do anything simply because no one else is, is not sound,
technically or otherwise.

What you should be doing, Chris, is becoming a part of the process.
As a critic inside the process, you can work to change things.  As
someone whose only mantra is that ICANN is 100% wrong, and alt.roots
are 100% right, you can never do that.

The bottom line, Chris, is that if ICANN is so evil and doomed, why
the heck are you here?

In the end, a central authority is necessary.  And you may not like
it, but for at least the foreseeable future ICANN is it.  You may not
like it, you may not like WHY it is this way, but that doesn't change
that it is, and there is no credible evidence to support that any
serious challenge to it exists in the near or distant future.

So you can be a part of the problem or you can be a part of the
solution.

But this 100% negative campaign you are on does nothing to help bring
about reforms that would address the issues you raise.

Like you I believe in an aggressive namespace expansion.  ICANN has
not done that yet.  However, I also recognize that such an expansion
MUST take place in a controlled and technically sound fashion.

Having been involved in Workgroup C, along with a large number of
others here, I appreciate the hard work that had to happen to get even
the expansion we DO have happening right now.  And the be perfectly
blunt with you, the ONLY way that further expansion will occur is if
this expansion goes smoothly.

The constant attempts to stop ICANN's expansion by alt.root advocates
who don't recognize that they are NOT a part of the ICANN space (which
previous they agreed with when there was no threat of ICANN expanding
its namespace and seriously beginning to offer new choices in TLDs)
does NOT help the case for a further and aggressive expansion.

You may not like what I have to say, but I will say this anyway.

The worst enemy of the alt.root/tld community and those among them who
support real aggressive namespace expansion, IS THEMSELVES.

They do more harm to their own efforts and positions, and in a more
consistent and predictable manner, than any group of their kind I have
seen, in or out of the domain policy arena.

I can almost predict to a fault what each of them will say in
response to particular messages, which ones of them will disagree with
the other, and roughly how many messages in a particular thread
regarding a dispute before one party or the other threatens a lawsuit
against the other.

The infighting alone is insane.  Anyone want some amusement, join the
ORSC lists and just lurk.  It's a drama that would put the american
soap operas to shame some weeks.

The real problem is that passionate people like yourself lack the
experience necessary to see that railing against the wall gets them no
where, and have no effect at all to bring about the changes they
seek.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>