[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] "Constituencies"

At 22:26 10/06/01 -0700, William S. Lovell wrote:
>This word has quite a cultural problem, as by now we
>all know.  In a political system, the word "electorate"
>is roughly synonymous, except it suggests further that
>those who belong to the electorate actually have a voice.
>What about using it instead? A bit strange in English, I'll
>grant, but maybe more acceptable to those who use
>different languages.

Having tried to translate the word into other languages and still convey
roughly the meaning that the architects of the DNSO intended to give it, I
agree with you.

Why this word was chosen becomes clearer when you look through the old
discussion list archives (discuss@dnso.org), at the time people were
working on the different "drafts" (the Paris draft, and the Barcelona,
Monterey, Washington (BMW) draft)
Unwittingly I may have been the one who introduced this word, with a
posting that sought to analyse the different interest groups, (dutch:
"belangengroepen" ) that should get voting rights in the Names Council.

--Joop--
Founder of the Cyberspace Association.
Former bootstrap of the IDNO (www.idno.org)
Developer of    The Polling Booth