[ga-icann]

[ga-icann] ICANN - The world's Internet technical coordinating body?

This is from the technical coordinating body that is responsible for
maintaining the stabiltiy of the Internet.

What it sounds like to me is a petulent child who is cornered and
threatens to do something really stupid in order to get back at the other
kid who has the toy he wanted.  He'll deliberately try to break your toy
because he didn't get there first or his mommy wouldn't buy one for him.
Now he becomes the playground bully.

Instead of responding to offers of dialog, ICANN prefers to attempt to
wipe out others at the expense of the users of the Internet.  Is this the
body we all want to coordinate the Internet?  Do you trust ICANN?  Can
anyone trust ICANN with the world's communications medium? I'd love
to know what your confidence level is.

Get rid of the @large.  Keep the GA impotent.  Stall in every way
possible the creation of an IDNHC.  Kill whatever doesn't play in your
sandbox and play as dirty as you can.  Roll those tanks down main
street.  Oh yeah, and while you're at it, lie, lie, lie.

Power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

From Internetweek:
Alternate Roots, Naming Systems Coming Under Fire
By Juliana Gruenwald, Interactive Week
June 4, 2001 2:51 PM ET

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2768503,
00.html

...While Lynn and others say ICANN can do little about alternative
approaches beyond stressing the importance of a single root, ICANN
board member Jonathan Cohen suggested Monday at ICANN's board
meeting that the names being offered by these alternative operators
should be given to someone else when ICANN moves to introduce a
second round of new gTLDs.

"There should be clear notice to those out there on alternate roots, if
they choose a top-level domain because they think they can move
faster than we, that won't prevent us from choosing it," Cohen said.
"Otherwise  it's open season."   ...

-------------------------------

For Pete's sake, anyone could move faster than ICANN.  More
important, however, is the fact that the TLDs they are attempting to
steal have been around longer than they have and have co-exsited just
fine.  This august body is willing to create collisions in order to prove a
point, but what point?  They create a problem and then blame someone
else for its consequences.  That's really bright, ICANN.  It will backfire
one day.  The "American Joke" as coined by users outside the US
could become the "American Internet Tragedy," all because of the
desire for absolute power.

Leah