[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-ext] On-Line Voting

At 19:00 17/05/01 -0400, Danny Younger wrote:
>I have noticed that the At-Large Study Committee has posted studies such as
>"Security Considerations for Remote Electronic Voting over the Internet," by
>Avi Rubin  http://avirubin.com/e-voting.security.html
>
>That particular paper also refers to another recent study (March 2001), the
>"National Workshop on Internet Voting"
>http://netvoting.org/Resources/InternetVotingReport.pdf
>
>Both of these studies imply that on-line elections are not technologically
>feasible at this time.

Having actually worked with online voting , I must say that there is a great deal of FUD in reports that seek perfection in security.  Ask election.com or any other commercial voting provider.
Even with a so-called free vote in the Booth, where there is no password security, I have never found any significant attempt to cheat.
Iris-reading identification? Ridiculous!
This is not about keeping intruders out of high-security facilities.

Even rudimentary  identification systems should be acceptable to create a voters' roll.
The postal address system that ICANN used for the last @large election , was one of such.

If there are 100.000 voters, you do not need watertight security to keep a dozen false identities out.
Unless there is an extremely close election result, it does not make any difference.
It certainly is no excuse or reason to abandon on-line voting.

Just as in paper ballot voting there can be cheating, nobody in his right mind uses this as an argument to stop giving people the vote.

--Joop--
Founder of the Cyberspace Association.
Former bootstrap of the IDNO (www.idno.org)
Developer of    The Polling Booth