[ga] Joe Sims - "Our only job is the plumbing... we shouldn't help shape the DNS at all"

So how do things like reservation of names for Trademark holders in the TLD
Sunrise relate to this remark of Joe Sims:

"Q: What do you think the Domain Name System should look like in 10 years
and how can ICANN help?

A: I have no idea what it's going to look like, and if ICANN is doing what
it's supposed to be doing, it shouldn't help shape it at all. That'll be a
result of all the forces that interact on the internet, and ICANN really
isn't or shouldn't be one of those. We're the guys who keep the plumbing
from being clogged. That's our only job. We have no jobs other than that
although I'm quite sure that there will be all sorts of people who will want
us to do other jobs from time to time. Hopefully they won't succeed. And if
they don't and if we stick to just doing the plumbing, we shouldn't have any
influence on those more cosmic matters at all."

(Interview with the Berkman Center)
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/is99/governance/sims.html#icann4