[ga] Spoil The Appetite

           Diet Buddy - Monday, December 16, 2002

Have this newsletter delivered for FREE every week! visit:
            http://www.shagmail.com/sub/diet.html
AOL users: look for your links at the bottom of the page.

Spoil The Appetite

Dearest Diet Buddies, an e-mail arrived this week which
caused me to do a lot of thinking about the way we eat
today and the way we used to eat, in the past, or perhaps in
some mythical past.  Here’s the letter from our Diet Buddy
F.P.:

"When I was a kid some 60+ years ago, mom had turkey in the
oven by 8 a.m.  There were seven of us kids so it was a
20-plus pound turkey.  It took about five hours to cook the
turkey.  Meanwhile, my two sisters, the oldest, always helped
mom.  (I’m the youngest).  They prepared the usual side dishes
that go with a turkey dinner.  The only thing we ate before an
afternoon turkey feed was our breakfast.  No snacking, except
the celery mom and sis filled with either peanut butter or
cream cheese.  Snacks came after dinner.  If we got hungry
after eating all the goodies, we went back for more later.

           FREE Cell phone Flashing Key chain -
	 The Smart and Fun Way To Receive Calls

Are you like me, one of those types that always seems to miss
cellphone calls? Well not anymore, thanks to the Flashing
Cellphone Chain! It blinks (in three wild colors, no less!)
BEFORE your phone receives a call signal. (It's like ESP....)
Now you can turn off the ringer, put the phone away (or listen
to headphones) without ever missing a call!

Carry it with your keys, hang it from your car mirror or attach
it to your cell phone case--it works up to 3 feet away from your
phone! Cute and functional (and a surefire conversation starter),
this makes a great gift.... If you want one of these, please
HURRY or they'll be gone in a...uh, flash! (Limit 5 per order)
http://pulsetv.com/dw/cell.asp?aid=580&ent=643&email=ga@dnso.org

Click Here</a>

"What I don’t understand is the modern generation.  They get
up late, prepare snacks, and then put the turkey in the oven
by noon, so it’s ready by 5 o’clock.  They run around with
their heads cut off trying to get the meal ready after all
the other preparations.  Meanwhile, I along with others,
suffer through five hours of snacks and can’t get a decent
turkey dinner.  What’s the matter with this scenario?  It is
difficult to resist the snacks because by 5 p.m. I’m hungry.
Any suggestions?"

My answer is a question:  Why resist tasty, healthy snacks or
a midday light meal while you anticipate the evening holiday
dinner?  I don’t see any reason not to eat when you are hungry.
In fact, I believe that eating healthy snacks every few hours
is the best way never to get overly hungry and consequently
overindulge in a rich and fattening meal.  In other words, go
ahead spoil your appetite.  Here are a few suggestions:  Have
a bowl of low-fat granola and skim milk, a fruit and cottage
cheese plate, a piece of wholegrain toast and low-fat cheese
and a cup of hot tea.  Or, how about a salad with chopped
hardboiled eggs or tuna?  I could go on and on, but you get
the idea.

Perhaps the "modern generation" has adjusted to the idea that
food is available 24/7, and that one more holiday turkey
dinner is no big deal.  It seems that eating to satisfy
hunger, maybe several times a day, is now the norm.  It’s a
big shift in attitude and I believe it’s come about because
of the omnipresence of food everywhere we go at the mall, at
movie theaters, even at bookstores and discount stores! By
the way, no one I know "suffers" while waiting for the family
feast to be served at the dinner hour.  Most folks eat lightly
during the day in anticipation of the bigger meal to come.
In addition, eating small amounts of food every few hours
keeps the blood sugar stable and helps you avoid the fatigue
and irritability that comes with true hunger.

  Stott Pilates - 22 Minute Workout For Beginners
      The Contemporary Approach To Exercise

Master instructor-trainer Moira Scott-Merrithew "the
first lady of pilates," introduces you to her contemporary
mind-body exercise approach in this beginner's edition.
You will learn to isolate, activate & condition deep
muscles. Tone and elongate muscles, increase flexibility
& release stress and tension in just 22 minutes a day.
This is an intelligent exercise with profound results.
For only $14.98, you can order you Stott Pilates
22 minute workout by visiting:
         http://ads.pulsetv.com/al/a?aid=580&ent=1084
Stott Pilates Beginner Workout</a>

More Letters from the E-Mail Bag:

From our Buddy M.C.:  "I’m 62 years old and overweight.  I
have numerous health issues.  I woke up and realized the real
issue overweight.  So, I joined an exercise club.  Started off
with water aerobics because I couldn’t do anything else.  I am
going three times a week and miss every once in a while.  My
resolution is to attend every class in the new year, and maybe
go upstairs and try some of the equipment.  Thank you for your
inspiration, and I hope to be a smaller person next year."

Dear M.C.:  Thank you for writing.  Your exercise program is
terrific, and I believe as you feel stronger and healthier,
you’ll be more inclined to try out different routines and
exercise equipment.  Just remember to go slowly and not expect
too much from yourself.  I also believe that getting one’s
weight in line is the first step in handling many chronic
health problems, including ailments ranging from high blood
pressure to arthritis.  Best of luck to you!

            :::::::: AS SEEN ON TV ::::::::
Xtend-A-Hand -- The Helping Hand Gets To Unreachable Places

The Amazing Xtend-A-Hand helps you pick up hard to reach
items & dirty objects you don't want to touch. No more
bending, climbing, or straining! Its long and slim design
allows you to easily reach the top of shelves, closets and
those hard to reach crevices & gaps behind furniture and
appliances! This unique & durable "Handy" tool firmly grips
and lifts in one easy motion! Great for putting away
groceries, picking up garbage, hanging decorations, & much
more. Order 1 today for $14.99 or SAVE $10 when you order
2 for only $19.98 by visiting:
         http://ads.pulsetv.com/al/a?aid=580&ent=1019
Xtend-A-Hand</a>

From our Diet Buddy J.R.:  "I only have one resolution to
make for 2003, but it’s an important one.  I resolve to keep
off the weight I’ve lost and maintain my normal, healthy
weight for next year.  I plan to keep track of the calories
I eat, then use a good exercise plan to burn up a few more
calories than I take into my body.  For example, if I simply
'must’ eat that cupcake, I’ll just walk a little faster going
up the steep hill behind our house!  That should do it nicely.
Hugs to all!"

Dear J.R.:  Sounds right on target.  You can also plan to
incorporate one or two small treats a week into your calorie
program.  Just substitute the treat for two snacks or part of
a meal, especially bread or rolls.  Moreover, if you "must"
have a sweet, save it for a special time during the week and
savor it along with a hot cup of coffee or other drink.  In
other words, experience the treat as a special pleasure and
don’t feel guilty!

Next Issue:  What Will 2003 Bring?  What are your hopes and
dreams for the coming year?  Send your e-mails for our year’s
end roundup from Diet Buddies all over the planet!

Get FREE NEWSLETTERS: http://www.shagmail.com

END OF DIET BUDDY - Another FREE ShagMail publication
http://www.shagmail.com

Copyright 2002 by Pulse Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.
Feel free to forward this, in its entirety, to others.

You are currently subscribed to diet-buddy as:
ga@dnso.org

leave-diet-buddy-3452754V@ls6.sendoutmail.com