[ga] A list transition team for the GA?

A list transition team for the GA?
==================================

As you all know, the GA *as an institution* plays no role in the
ICANN Bylaws which will come into force after the Amsterdam
meeting (when the Transition Article of the Bylaws will be
decided). On the other hand, the GA *list* will definitely not
simply go away. In the long run, it will be run under the
auspices of the At Large Advisory Committee, but -- not least
because the At Large still has to organize itself -- before that,
it will be continued in the GNSO (Generic Names Supporting
Organization).

As you also know, we -- Thomas and I -- have been elected in
January 2002 as Chair and Alternate Chair of the GA as institution.
Which means that by the time that our terms end, the new Bylaws
(http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-appa-31oct02.htm) will be
in force and there will be no more GA Chair and Alternate Chair.

This would leave the GA *list* in a state of mixed responsibility
of the GNSO Council and the At Large Advisory Committee (which
itself is not formed yet). While both groups seem to be inclined
to keep the GA list alive, it would be a good idea to have people
who can act as a liaison/transition team for the following tasks:

-- ensuring that the GA list is indeed continued, and that there
   is no undue interference from any side,
-- ensuring that the list rules which the GA has given itself
   are followed and that the list does not share the fate of
   other lists,
-- helping to bring the GA expertise in domain name issues
   (especially of GA representatives to DNSO task forces) into the
   At Large and bringing the regional expertise of At Large
   structures to the GA list and
-- possibly helping with the technical and practical transition
   if this should be necessary.

To sum it up: These people would ensure that the GA can continue
to be an open discussion forum. The participants in this group
would optimally be GA participants for some time and both able and
willing to work with both the GNSO Council and the At Large
Advisory Committee.

To be frank: People who are interested in arguing for (or against,
for that matter) a larger role for individual participants and
for nine (or any other number) of At Large Board seats, are entitled
to do so -- but this team would be the completely wrong place. The
team would be supposed to take care of the GA list as a forum --
I have no doubts that the GA list helps understanding ICANN and that
it even helps individual participants to organize, so it should be
in the interest of all GA participants to keep it going in an
organized form, to find it a new home and to ensure that it is not
broken accidentally or even on purpose.

If you think such a transition team would be helpful and you are
prepared to help in this team, please let us know.

Best regards,
/// Alexander