RE: [ga] Ignoring the Rules

Jeff

If you marvel at the reticence that people have shown about participating in
Icann Task Force discussions, perhaps you should ponder the reasons why...

People try to make reasoned and informed contributions to Icann issues and
never even get replies (yes, it has now been 221 days since I asked Dan
Halloran for an answer to serious fraud issues concerning his accredited
registrars, and he has never even acknowledged the mail - indefensible).

People seek vital data but it is withheld, making informed participation
impossible (yes, where can we see your own Evaluation reports from Neulevel
and Afilias's Evaluation reports on the New TLDs, which both Registries were
obliged to submit under Appendix U of your Icann Agreement?) - these were
mandatory and available for public release, and I fail to understand how
vital data can be withheld, and then you wonder that people cannot engage in
informed participation.

People challenge Icann about fraudulent registrars and a lack of integrity,
and Icann continues to accredit registrars that have been shown to have
acted fraudulently. With regard to Registries, well you undertook to protect
the integrity of .biz in a mail to me below, and yet you have failed to
reply to me or address clearcut cases which I have shown you, where .biz
names have been stockpiled for re-sale and are publicly displayed "for sale"
at exorbitant prices. It is hardly surprising that ordinary internet users
are highly sceptical of the integrity of Icann, its processes, and the whole
industry including some Registries and some Registrars.

Have you submitted Neulevel's full Evaluation report as required in the
mandatory conditions of Appendix U? Where can we see them? How can we
develop informed opinions on New TLDs if we can't see the data?

Why haven't you replied to me with regard to the cases of .biz abuse which I
sent you months ago? Why are people here in the UK still able to break the
rules, buy .biz and advertise 100s of them for re-sale, and you appear to do
nothing about it, or explain what the heck is going on? You know I have all
the details (not to mention your entire WHOIS) - do I have to bore this list
with the minutiae?

As a damage limitation exercise, you handled Neulevel's .biz2B problems
quite well, vowing to clean up the rogue registrations, and you even deleted
some. Then you just appear to have dropped the matter (to the disadvantage
of ordinary consumers?) rather like Afilias has said it won't challenge any
more of the .info registrations which remain to be returned to the public. I
thought the DNS was meant to be available to all, ABIDING BY THE PROCESSES
AND PROCEDURES that are written down in the contracts.

You seem to imply that process and procedure are less important than the
outcomes. Well many of the outcomes have been reprehensible, and as a lawyer
I'm astonished that you are willing to waive and set aside procedure. It is
often the abuse of procedure which has led to the reprehensible outcomes.

This may be familiar practice in corporate America but it is laughable to
the rest of the world - as are the Icann processes as a whole.

Personally, I think Danny Younger's concerns about procedure (given the
history of Icann, its registries, and its registrars) is entirely justified.

And you say: why aren't people participating?

Icann has expelled the elected representatives of users from its Board.

It has called its public forums "laughable".

It ignores sincere participants if they raise difficult issues.

I have personally contributed to the debates on deletions and newtlds. But
the bottom line is, Icann exists to benefit a self-serving group of vested
interests. Icann is discredited. Icann will do whatever it wants as long as
it can get away with it. If it doesn't like what a Task Force proposes, it
just overrides it. Look what happened when it set up the group to recommend
on the future of the At Large...

What good did THAT do?

Icann just reversed everything it proposed.

So Jeff, you urge participation (and obviously that is not entirely wrong)
and you gloss over procedure. But the procedures are vitally important,
particularly when you're dealing with a rogue Board which is out of control.

Kind regards as ever,

Richard Henderson