Re: [ga] More Root-Servers?

Marc, Daniel, and all assembly members, stakeholders or other interested
parties,

  It would seem more logical to fix the protocol to allow for more Root
servers than to use Anycast to piggyback additional Root servers.
Even better would be a SROOTS or MultiRoot structure.  But of course
ICANN is strongly against that...  :(  None the less, Bind 9.0+ has
been modified in our [INEG. INC] version to allow for up to 255
root servers.  We call this fix or improved/inhanced version, BindPlus,
and have been quietly deploying it for some time now..

  I do believe that Anycast or Multicast can and has been tested a number
of times to be used for linking/stacking of Root servers under existing
Bind restrictions.  One might consider asking Paul Vixie about some of
this if I recall correctly.

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> Yesterday suggestions were made here for placing root-servers more
> geographically spread around the world. The problem is that 13 is
> the maximum.
>
> Below an idea that RIPE (which operates K) is considering. In short:
> there would be several machines with the same IP number in different
> places using anycast. So there would in fact be more root-servers that
> appear to be just one of the 13.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801