[ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] FYI California State Assembly: Bill AB2297 & Bill AB700

James and all stakeholders, assembly members or other interested parties,

  The Calif.. based bill is borne of the IP interests in attempting to build
the case that a consumers personal and private information such as
Home Address, and SSN, are essential in tracking fraud and other
nefarious and illegal activities of great interest to IP interests.

  In addition I don't see this bill "As is" passing as was eluded in the
Article that James Khan kindly provided the URL for below.  It
also seems to be to fly in the face of the Privacy Act and as well as
the Credit protection Act, both of which are federal statutes.  I do
believe that Federal Statute still trumps state laws of various
sorts, and there have been many that have been conflicting
from time to time and so challenged...

James S. Tyre wrote:

> If the Bill passes, expect that it will be challenged on dormant commerce
> clause grounds (under Article I, Section 8, clause 3 of the U.S. Const,
> Congress has the exclusive power to regulate interstate commerce).
>
> Generally speaking (not universally), such challenges have failed if the
> challenge is to state legislation regulating spam, but have succeeded in
> most other instances.
>
> At 07:28 PM 9/3/2002 -0700, Jkhan wrote:
> >"This bill provides meaningful privacy protections that will help foster
> >the continued growth of the Internet economy. Currently the law is
> >unclear on what recourse individuals may have, if any, when somebody
> >chooses not to honor their posted privacy policy. Right now, the only
> >sure method of recourse is to literally make a federal case of the
> >matter. This bill provides for meaningful and accessible enforcement
> >under California Law."
> >
> >See:
> >Bill Could Expose Internet Privacy Practices:
> >[ http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1454691 ]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801