[ga] Fw: "...ICANN seems to be stalling on the release of any further NewTLDs..."

I read these comments by Jim Fleming somewhere today and thought them
interesting...

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming@ameritech.net>
To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>
Cc: <chandley@ntia.doc.gov>; <censslin@ntia.doc.gov>; <DEvans@doc.gov>;
<nvictory@ntia.doc.gov>; <RLayton@ntia.doc.gov>; <yjpark@myepark.com>;
Richard J. Sexton <richard@vrx.net>; <ray@fassett.org>; <karl@cavebear.com>;
Joop Teernstra <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>; Joe Baptista
<baptista@dot-god.com>; Bruce Young <Bruce@barelyadequate.info>;
<andy@ccc.de>; @quasar Internet Solutions, Inc. <shore@quasar.net>;
<steinle@smartvia.de>; Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>;
<love@cptech.org>; <k@widgital.com>; <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>;
<jefsey@jefsey.com>; <eric@hi-tek.com>; Judith Oppenheimer
<joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com>; <vivek@vivekdurai.com>;
<vinton.g.cerf@WCOM.COM>; <quaynor@ghana.com>; <mouhamet@next.sn>;
<lynn@icann.org>; <junsec@wide.ad.jp>; Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>;
<jcohen@shapirocohen.com>; <mkatoh@mka
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 9:43 PM
Subject: "...ICANN seems to be stalling on the release of any further
NewTLDs..."

> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc11/msg00108.html
> From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>
>
> "My concern is that there is public frustration in some quarters (which I
do
> not necessarily share) that ICANN seems to be stalling on the release of
any
> further NewTLDs."
> =====
>
> ICANN does not "release" TLDs.
>
> ICANN was formed by the U.S. Government to help advise the U.S. Government
on the addition
> of 5 or 6 TLDs to be added to the U.S. Government controlled, legacy,
32-bit DNS root server cluster.
> It was also part of a U.S. Government plan to divest the .COM wealth to
more companies. The artificial
> Registrar/Registry situation was created, causing LESS Registrars, but
using price-regulation to dupe the
> consumers into thinking there was competition. Now you can see the
realities of competition. You can
> see that non-ICANN Registrars are lower cost. You can also extract the $6
regulated price and see that
> the real cost is a few dollars and companies compete on pennies to try to
differentiate the same service.
> http://www.thepricedomain.com/index.php?domainlist=com
>
> While ICANN was dragging its feet and pushing the 5 or 6 companies aside
who should have been added
> in 1998, the U.S. Government proceeded in parallel to deal with .US and
.EDU. The U.S. Government is
> more than capable to select TLDs and vendors to add to THEIR servers. Why
they choose to only listen to
> one small company that they created to talk to them is confusing to many
Americans. While doing that, the
> U.S. Government was sending other companies like Microsoft a message that
they would not have an
> exclusive right to be the only company in the software business.
Fortunately, during all of this, several new
> companies have emerged, and now show the world how it should have been
done. New.Net is one example.

> At best, ICANN could manage .ARPA and .INT, but it appears the RIRs are
prepared to handle .ARPA.
> http://forum.icann.org/reform-comments/general/msg00130.html
> That is a potential, $6 billion dollar per year, revenue opportunity, that
could go to ICANN.
> Do you think these companies and organizations want to start paying for
IPv4 address allocations ?
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
>
> Looking down the road, it is not clear what role ICANN has. Some would
claim that the "Herculean" task
> of pushing companies aside, to favor some insiders, who delivered some of
the biggest fiascos in the
> history of the Internet, is now over. Others seem to be searching for some
new "really hard" task to point
> ICANN at. It is up to the U.S. Government to decide what they should do
now that history has shown
> that new TLDs can be added with no impact to their servers. Now that
history has shown that thousands
> of TLDs (reflecting consumer choice) are emerging. Now that history has
shown that people will simply
> route around the artificial market road-blocks created by the I* society
insiders as they attempt to control