Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

> Thomas,
>
> For a long time we have all known what the policies are.  We have also known
> that many detest these policies and are looking for aggressive changes rather
> than aggressive enforcement.  Why is the task force of the view that
> "enforcing the existing contractual provisions is the essential first step"?
>
> I, for one, don't want these policies enforced.  I want them changed.  I can
> contact my telephone services provider and request (for a slight fee) an
> unlisted number.  Neither my name, nor my postal address, nor my fax number,
> nor my email address will be published.  This represents no particular burden
> for the law enforcement community and I am able to have the measure of
> privacy that I deem important.  Why then should all my contact details have
> to be exposed in the WHOIS?

There is a slight difference here.  Your phone number is always held by a
company which has an office in the country where the phone number is for.  ie
in New Zealand the telco Telecom or Telstra and both are required by law to co-
operate with law enforcement agencies.

But with domain names and a thin registry you may register your name through a
registrar based in say Iraq which is probably highly unlikely to co-operate
with a request from the FBI.  You could put in the registrar contracts that
they have to co-operate with the FBI but then why only force them to co-operate
with law enforcement in one country.  So then you'd have to have registrars co-
operate with all law enforcement agencies in the world ....

DPF