Re: [ga] ICANN reimburse $75,000 to GAC for GAC Secretariat

Marilyn,

With respect, I must disagree.

The GAC may be critical...or not..but that is not the issue I believe.
The issue of funding always revolves around who needs it most...and who
can find other sources.
If anyone can get funding or re-imbursment...it is the GAC. They
represent governments. If governments anre not serious about this
participation...then...they vote with their checkbooks.  It is a very
simple way of speaking volumes.  governments have multiple souorces of
revenue and choices to make: what to spend the money on. Funding GAC
activities...is not even a drop in the bucket for the ones that have
come to the table.

The organizations we are talking about ...like DNSO...cannot raise
taxes...or sell souvenir t-shirts...to fund their activities.

Whie I am all for looking to the future, that should not prevent us from
being very attentive to what is going on now.

"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" wrote:

> I must disagree, respectively, with any view that this is a bail-out.
> We are all engaged in trying to achieve an effective next stage to ICANN.
> I am a firm believer that the private sector should do what ICANN is doing.
> Governments should be, and are, key advisors. The GAC is a critical resource
> in this aspect. Support of the secretariat for the GAC makes sense.  We are all
> in transition.
>
> Let's look forward to the future and the common vision which I believe most share -
> we can be bogged down in past experiences. OR we can understand that evolution means
> just that.
>
> It is hard to put one's personal experiences and to look to a broader more common
> perspective... but that is necessary.  In the future, I believe we have agreement to support
> of staff for SOs ... I have supported that extension to Advisory Councils, but noted that
> I believe that AC's must advise SO's, where policy is made, not just Board.
>
> :-)
>
> Marilyn

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology