Re: [ga] ICANN reimburse $75,000 to GAC for GAC Secretariat

Marilyn and all assembly members,

Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

> I must disagree, respectively, with any view that this is a bail-out.

  Agreed.  No bailout in this that I can see...  But it does show how
poorly ICANN has managed it own finances.  That's a corporate
responsibility issue, which as you should know Marilyn, is a very
hot issue with the present Bush administration...

> We are all engaged in trying to achieve an effective next stage to ICANN.
> I am a firm believer that the private sector should do what ICANN is doing.

  Well perhaps the ATT and affiliate companies are thinking along these
lines.  But small business is decidedly not, as was evident to me in
Waco today at the presidents economic forum, which I attended.

  As you and ATT should know small business is 53% of the GDP
in the US, and even a greater percentage outside of is the US.  As such,
your contention Marilyn and I can only suppose ATT's also out of
step with the stakeholders/users as is ICANN...

> Governments should be, and are, key advisors. The GAC is a critical resource
> in this aspect. Support of the secretariat for the GAC makes sense.  We are all
> in transition.

  Of course support for the GAC secretariat is important.  The reverse
is also true.  That being that the responsibility of the GAC is to the broad
and vast majority of the stakeholders/users.  Hence ICANN itself should
be paying the secretariat functions if ICANN has broad stakeholder/user
representation, which it does not presently...  And this is the crux of the
ongoing failure of ICANN and it's now seemingly underway reform
effort dubbed the "Black-and-Blueprint"...

> Let's look forward to the future and the common vision which I believe most share -
> we can be bogged down in past experiences. OR we can understand that evolution means
> just that.

  Work on your formatting here Mairlyn...  Most of whom do you believe
share what common future?  When you can answer that, than perhaps
everyone or most stakeholders/users can determine what you are talking about..

> It is hard to put one's personal experiences and to look to a broader more common
> perspective... but that is necessary.

  Yes it is hard to do if you take a narrow and restrictive view as well as restrict
participation...  Otherwise it is not too difficult to do at all...

> In the future, I believe we have agreement to support
> of staff for SOs ... I have supported that extension to Advisory Councils, but noted that
> I believe that AC's must advise SO's, where policy is made, not just Board.

  This is fine and dandy, but it is still far too restrictive and reminds many
of a "Club Mantality".  That's not good Corporate Responsibility...

> :-)
>
> Marilyn

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801