Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Karl's latest

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2002 at 13:19, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:32:42 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> > >Exactly this is at least my reason for voting in favour of the
> > >blueprint as at least a less-worse solution then strong governmental
> > >involvement would be.
> >
> > I share your opinions,
>
> I don't.
>
> and I think this - and the difference between your
> > views and Karl's ones - is a clear example of the major choice we have in
> > front of us now.
>
> Major choice? Does a rejection of the Reform Committee's proposal imply a
> leaving of ICANN? Or a support for stronger involvement of governments?
>
> Take the comments from the RIRs as example.  Do they support the blueprint
> proposal? Certainly not. Does that mean they want the US or any other
> government to replace ICANN? Definitely not. The ccTLDs' position is
> another example. I don't think that the existence of worse alternatives is good
> enough as reason to accept and support the blueprint paper. Either one
> shares its assumptions and goals or not.

Jeanette et al.,

Well stated.  Which is why the membership needs to select the coming Steering
Committee with care.  Either this organization will break out of the Dyson & Co.
stranglehold or it won't.  The former state will lead to a truly independent and
principled organization which may actually accomplish something vis a vis ICANN
etc., the latter into even further obsolescence for the AtLarge and User
representation.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos