Re: [ga] OECD vs ICANN, re: WHOIS accuracy

Leah and all assembly members,

  I agree with you personally, entirely.  I am also amazed and somewhat
disgusted that on the ending of the Independence Day Weekend that
George or anyone else could possibly espouse of propose anything
that would infringe on the freedoms that so many have fought and
died for all over the globe, and especially in the US.  Truly
appalling!

L. Gallegos wrote:

> All that is necessary is the IP address infoormation.  If there are
> problems with the domain, the origin is the place to look.  If it becomes
> a legal problem, there are avenues to obtain the information.  In most
> cases, problems such as spam use forged headers and domain names
> anyway, and you have to still go for the originating IP address.  Whoever
> operates that server is the one really in control.
>
> There is no need to publish the registrant's information and the
> registrants is, in most cases today, the admin as well.  As for accurate
> information, the whois has my accurate information - a P.O. Box.  Never
> again will I place my physical address or fax number in a public
> database.  I've had to restrict my fax machine to accepting only
> recognized numbers.  Anything else is rejected.  I got tired of spending
> money on reams of paper and ink cartridges for junk and threatening
> faxes.  I sometimes received 200 pages per day.  That phone number is
> now unlisted as well.
>
> I can see no reason to use your compromise.  As long as you can
> reach a responsible person for technical purposes via the IP address
> origin, you have a key to getting to the registrant.  I do believe that the
> whois for IP address allocations must contain accurate information and
> a valid email address, even if that is through a proxy also.  If a privacy
> bureau is used, you can always contact the registrant via email through
> that bureau as well.  As has been mentioned before, there are always
> court orders to obtain information for legal issues.  I can see no reason
> to provide attorneys with it in a public database so they can harrass,
> abuse and/or threaten people.  It happens every day.
>
> Leah
>
> On 7 Jul 2002, at 7:50, George Kirikos wrote:
>
> > Would you support the "compromise" I've mentioned in the past, namely
> > the creation of a "Legal Contact" role (which could be the ISP,
> > Technical Contact, the Registrant, or someone else the Registrant
> > chooses to use) who is held legally responsible for problems
> > originating from a domain, with accurate info that IS in the WHOIS for that
> > contact? I think that's all people ultimately need to reach, someone who is
> > responsible.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827