Re: [ga] OECD vs ICANN, re: WHOIS accuracy

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found the following story interesting:
>
> http://www.demys.net/news/02_jul_02_oecd.htm
>
> Hopefully the WHOIS taskforce is watching. I agree with the OECD's
> position, that WHOIS accuracy affects the stability of the internet.

I disagree.  The stability of the internet is not dependent on the whois
engines.  It can just as easily be argued that whois accuracy can be a
violation of a citizens rights to privacy, especially in some europrean
countries.

The whois was simply a means of contacting authority and techs for a
specific contact record, be it domain, contact, nameserver network etc.
If something went boink - you had a means of contacting a responsible
person.

thats all it is.  what it is not is a tool for lawyers.  man disagree but
thats the way it is.  the .god and .satan whois engines allow for privacy.
i suspect based on our past history that much of the fraud found in the
united states whois is system is simply people seeking their right to
privacy.

all this whois stuff is a bit of a red herring.  people will run their
whois's as they deem fit and those who anticipate user privacy needs as we
did will rule the day.

stability of the internet is based on tamper proof protocols and not the
accuracy of domain name search engines.

regards
joe baptista
www.dot-god.com