[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: CPSR/CIVSOC STATEMENT ON THE ICANN AT LARGE MEMBERSHIP

Todd and all,

todd glassey wrote:

> I think that the intent of the 1998 Agreement is one of the key problems
> with today's Internet.

  I think that in some ways this statement is very accurate here Todd.
But I believe and almost all of our [INEGroup] members believe is
that it is a matter of cross interpretations of the White Paper in particular
and the MoU to a lesser extent.

> It paints the Internet as a public conveyance that
> everyone just sort of uses...

  I don't see this to be so at all...

> It also doesn't do much to define the methods
> of which are used to pay for this technology and its deployment or more
> importantly how this "global 1998 Internet model" will allow each and every
> Jurisdictional Area to constrain its piece of the "Internet" with its own
> operating rules and law.

  The private sector must do the paying.  It always has to some degree.
The difference now ti that it must pay for all of it.  However sense
Accra, Stuart Lynn's proposal would seem to wish to change that
to the governments putting up par to the $$ if not the majority
of the $$.

> In fact the 1998 agreement is more a One-World fantasy that is maybe more
> about what it would have looked like if the ARPANET was made public and
> extended to every point on the globe, than what the Internet is all about.

  The Internet is and extension of ARPANET.  It is supposed to be.
So no fantasy involved that I can see.  Rather an evolution that
has taken place, and continues.

> One of the things that is occurring now is that Countries are realizing that
> they cannot let IEC/LEC Carriers in general run willy-nilly any which way
> they want; and that to implement eBorders (a task thankfully much easier
> than closing the physical borders to unauthorized traffic) that simple and
> reasonable rules have to be put in place defining how the Carriers
> interrelate their networks to one another.

  Exactly and a good general point.  In the US this would mean the
FCC regulations come into serious play here.  However none of
this deals with the DNS directly but has an indirect effect upon
the DNS in a number of obvious ways, and of course in some
not so obvious ways.

> Finally the biggest shortcoming of the 1998 accord is that it  mistakenly
> assumes that the Internet is one homogeneous community and that one DNS root
> and one set of rules will work for all. [insert obnoxious BUZZER sound
> effect here if you like]

  Also a good point.  One that has been made many many times before,
and long before you were participating...

> What could they have been smoking at the time? Dust from Xerox's Dynabook
> project some 20 years prior...
>
> Todd Glassey

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827