[ga] your comments

Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:

 the cctlds have been one of the supporters of the
 ICANN project since its inception

It is certainly true that some ccTLDs have been very supportive, and it is
also true that many ccTLDs will say privately that they do not support the
more radical statements of their "leaders," but as far as I can tell, your
position has been that the cc's that you speak for will come into ICANN
only if ICANN agrees that they get to have a veto over any ICANN policies
that they don't care to follow.  We might be able to agree that all parties
could have perfomed better over the last years, and by that I mean all
parties -- the GAC, cc administrators, ICANN staff and Board, and
individual national governments.  But there is still a core issue:  do the
operators of these particular TLD registries have any obligation to the
global Internet community, in addition to their obvious responsibilities to
their local Internet community?  If they do, ICANN is the vehicle for
establishing policies that reflect that obligation to the global community.
This has been the position of the staff, and the Board, and the GAC, from
the beginning, and until this principle is accepted, it seems unlikely that
we will make much progress.  From your posting and its continuing criticism
of the GAC principles, I don't see much sign of progress.  Nevertheless, I
look forward to your upcoming meeting, and hope that it will help bring
closure to what has to date been an unproductive debate.

Joe Sims
Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
51 Louisiana Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client
or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information.  It
is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s).  If you are
not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended
recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.