Re: [ga] IOC

At 05:46 PM 28/05/02 -0400, James Love wrote:

>Joe, TechDaily quotes Lynn as saying online elections are
>off the table, and given some of the other board comments,
>one has to ask, is the board learning toward the IOC model
>for governance?

This makes perfect sense to me. The IOC is a scandal ridden
secretive and corrupt organization, it is anal in its
micromanagement and protection of its own turf, it is
resistant to change even though many of its consumer end
users, participant athletes, member country organizations,
and even governments, have been active in pushing for
change. When the heat gets too much, the CEO resigns and
everything goes on as before. And just to underline the
many disturbing parallels, from my morning paper [1]:

----
Vancouver Sun, Tuesday, May 28, 2002

A surprise new fee requested by the International Olympic
Committee will almost certainly cost Vancouver's bid for
the 2010 Olympics an additional $500,000 US. [...]
It is the first time the IOC, which claims it spent $2
million to evaluate bids before Beijing was awarded the
2008 Summer Olympics last year, has required a fee to
cover the costs of the selection process.
----

The IOC has nothing on ICANN, who spent more than that
to select 7 TLDs. Arguably, hosting an Olympic Games
is a tad more complex than hosting a database. -g

----
1 [include endbracket in link]:
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/news/story.asp?id={818709BF-D01A-47A8-88C4-B30157E10961}