Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [ga] Re: Transfers: Apparent Authority Discussion]]]]]

Loren - let me answer the last question first - It sucks. That is the 30 day
policy. I think its a very bad idea.

As to the rest of the letter here is my response.

--------------------

That's the whole problem Loren, there is no need for a multiparty consent
process, it will only confuse the actual ownership of the IP.  What
Registrar #1 in its transfer process has to authenticate  is that I am the
'legal person' or 'person who contracted with them' for the publishing of
this "Internet Marque", this Domain Name. That's all the receiving domain
likewise has the same responsibility to authenticate that you are "the
person" so to speak. But a mechanical authorization process between the
losing registrar and the winning registrar should only be there to retrigger
their own local refreshing of the DNS Data.

The IP is owned by the person (theoretically at least) that registers it as
theirs. With that said, also deleting a domain name should not stop you from
owning a domain name. Further there is an issue with the WLS since the
Registrar becomes and active coconspirator in the stealing of my ability to
use the marque.

One solution I think might make sense is to carve the Internet into
Country's surrounded by eBorders and within each eBoarder allow the
registrars to register all their domains... this would take a minor revision
to DNS to provide prefix type zones for addresses and then all the world
could have their own dot.com's. The we could  add a universal domain zone
for those critical trademarked domain names that are going to be the same no
matter what country's zone they are registered in.

Then with NAT gateways at the eBorders as well, this would eliminate the
need for complex retooling to make IPv6 work. Each country zone would have
the save IPv4 slices...

I don't know, maybe I am just too spun, but this seems simple to me, and why
fight about who gets which instance of a domain name. Geez the Registrars
will love us for this. We just expanded their business by orders of
magnitude and removed and sense of pain they may be having on replication
and running out of domains.

Todd