Re: Truths (Re: [ga] Lies, damned lies, and votes.)

Dan Steinberg wrote:

>welllllll facts are facts...but given the numbers...I would not hold my
>breath and jump up and down claiming any difference there is
>statistically significant.

That was not my intention.
If you followed the thread, my comment was in reply to a series of comments
that claimed that only Motion #1 was important.

Can we put the issue to rest with a statement, that I do believe can be
objectively made, that there is large consensus in the GA on criticism to
ICANN? We may disagree on whether it is correct or not for the GA to address
USG, we may disagree on the evaluation on ICANN being able or not to reform
itself, but there is consensus on "there's something wrong with ICANN".
Wouldn't it be more productive to draft a document that summarizes the
elements that are unsatisfactory (and the possible solutions) instead of
trying to pile up new motions that would not add a jota to the matter?

Let me start the list (in no particular order).

- WLS
- failure to hold AtLarge elections
- lack of accountability
- management of .org process
- failure to recognise the role of Registrants (or is this DNSO-only
matter?)

I am personally also unhappy about the renegotiation of the contract with
Verisign in terms that will give a blessing for the management of the
Registry and Registrar activities for .com, but I recognize that this is old
stuff, and maybe other folks would not agree to raise it up again.

Regards
Roberto