Re: [ga] Repealing the 5 message limit.

And this should be my 5th posting today - so TTFN

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@yahoo.com>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2002 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] Repealing the 5 message limit.

> Hello,
>
> --- todd glassey <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > I want to formally move to repeal the five message limit for posting
> > to this mailing list.
>
> I think a limit of five per day is very reasonable. Folks can combine
> multiple thoughts into a single message, so that a limit of 5 isn't too
> restrictive.

George/All  this makes indexing the actual content of the archive virtually
impossible with any reasonable search engine since any number of different
thoughts will have to be gleaned from each message. So until this
organization has a mechanism in place so that the Arechive may be searched
and concepts or specific information extracted IT CANNOT REASONABLY ENFORCE
A 5 MESSAGE POSTING LIMIT...

> It might also help people to think before posting, instead
> of turning the list into a chatroom.

This is an opinion and doesnt belong in this response.

> Having 60 or 70 messages upon
> opening one's mailbox every few hours with 1-line messages wastes a lot
> of people's valuable time.

Not if they are sorted by content in the Headers and Subjects, you just
ignore whatever you want. Wiht the concept of jamming mutliple postings into
a single submittal you insuire that everyone MUST read everything becuase
too many different thoughts are forced together.

No this 5 posting limit is a very bad idea. If you have problems with people
abusing the list - then kick them out. Just do it in a way so you dont get
the organization sued.

George - the point I am trying to get across is that the Archive also serves
a legal purpose to demonstrate "fair play in process" and so it is
critically important to this use that all of the knowledge in it is
searchable and indexable. And this is not the case at present. Clearly  at
this point by creating this arbitrary 5 posting limit you exacerbate the
problems with catagorizing the different thoughts or postings in the
Archive.

> If one checks the archives, 99% of people don't post more than 2 or 3
> messages per day. Perhaps folks who want no limit can explain why on
> earth they'd need more than 5 posts per day? (i.e. an average of one
> new contribution/thought every 4.8 hours)

You only have one important thought 5 times a day? Man - you lucky person.