Re: [ga] Bret Fausett's contributions

jsims@JonesDay.com (Fri 05/24/02 at 12:55 PM -0400):

> It is nice to see someone actually make some specific suggestions.  Bret's
> constructively critical approach to ICANN is always a happy contrast to the
> Byfield's and Froomkin's of the world, who have (at least in my memory)
> never met an ICANN action or decision they liked.  And anyone who had any
> naive notion that the tabloid they edit was even remotely intended to be
> objective can see from the exchange between Thomas and Ted that the editors
> have their own unique notion of journalism.  <...>

joe--

well, it seems like thomas gone on a bit of a 'forum-shopping spree'
in his efforts to be the final arbiter of what the rebid vote means,
what with his kvetching here, his bitching on ICANN Watch, his very
objective remarks on his blog. you snipe at how i write about ICANN
but not about how he executes his duties within it because his work
is convenient for you and mine is not.

you of course know that legal chestnut about sunlight being the best
disinfectant, yes? you and your crew seem to prefer that limpid kind
(wan, even), like you find in a vermeer: small rooms, just a handful
of people, very exclusive -- because it serves your purposes. i tend
to be a bit of a flaneur: i like wide, sunny boulevards teeming with
people. now, not many people are naturally drawn to DNS politics, so
the problem, for me, is how to draw them in. making it fun--you know,
with heroes and villains, that kinda stuff--works quite well, i find.
you may see it as a very lowbrow activity; if so, fine. it still has
a useful social function of encouraging people to understand DNS pol-
itics -- and, by extension, the broader intersection of politics and
technical standards.

you suggest that you think ICANN watch should be 'objective' but you
don't really give a flying fuck about that value per se; it's just a
posh-sounding way of trying to tie the hands of some of your critics.

cheers,