Re: [ga] Re: WLS Conference Call

----- Original Message -----
From: "William X Walsh" <william@wxsoft.info>
To: "Sotiris Sotiropoulos" <sotiris@worldatlarge.org>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] Re: WLS Conference Call

> Wednesday, May 22, 2002, 1:26:08 PM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>
> >>A domain name and IP rights have nothing to do with each other.
> >>

> > Please explain that to WIPO, if you don't mind.

This is a response to a friend of mine who is a PTO person from the AC in
charge of TM policy. Her commentary was triggered by my discussing with the
PTO some kind of IP/Domain interplay registry that they might operate. The
response is pretty clear. But the second commentary is that the creation of
such a Internet Specific trademark would take legislation and my take is
that this is not likely to happen unless someone of the lawyers herein
decides to undertake this as a project. [Hey Michael - how about this one?
Having your name on a piece of IP critical legislation would be a good notch
for your CV's...]

-----------------

Art -- there have been discussions about this at different times.  The tech
world has said emphatically that it does not want domain names tied to
trademarks in any way.  On the other hand--one can only register a mark (in
the US) if it is source identifying for goods and/or services (not all
domain names would qualify).  There is however, no reason that a domain name
holder cannot register its domain name as a trademark now--it it wants
continuing IP protection and if it otherwise qualifies as a TM.

One could also propose a "notice" style register for domain names.  Such a
register could create a legal presumption as to ownership and right to use
the domain name (aside from any trademark rights).  Doing that would take
legislation.