Re: [ga] Lies, damned lies, and votes.

On Fri, 24 May 2002, t byfield wrote:

> the response i just published on ICANN watch is below....

I'd like to put in a word of defense - with the elimination of the
at-large as a vote-having body, what is happening here is the construction
of the only forum in ICANN that is open to the general internet user.

It is going to be painful.

Debate and disagreement - even feelings that underhanded actions are
occuring - are to be expected.  And people with expressive skills are
going to characterize and interpret events.  There's nothing wrong with
any of that.

But we need to remember that nascent structures such as the GA can be
easily damaged by unremitting partisanship.

So, to accentuate the positive -

No matter how one interprets the results, what did happen was this: The GA
allowed members to articulate questions, which were then refined, and
ultimately placed on a ballot.  A vote was taken and results were tallied
and posted.  A process has been created - and that is an extremely
valuable thing.

(By-the-way, I chose not to participate in the vote.  But I do take notice
of the results.)

		--karl--