[ga] Re: Transfers: Apparent Authority Discussion

As with the last document that I worked on, you again mischaracterize it as
being "my draft"...there were two or three calls and a bunch of emails that
went into this proposal to the TF.

Regardless, you do raise touch on a key issue as it relates to the issue of
apparent authority in your analysis of the document - ""It would be
unworkable for this level of authorization to have to be obtained from the
Registrant directly in every instance."

It is important to remember the context of this statement...the rest of the
para reads...

"Many
Registrants do not wish to concern themselves with the day-to-day
maintenance of their domain registrations.  The concept of apparent
authority therefore allows a person authorized by the registrant to
legitimately interpose themselves between the registrant and the other
participants in the transfer process and in doing so, enter into binding
contracts on the registrant's behalf.  Apparent authority is also obviously
necessary where the registrant is a corporate body since it must act through
natural persons who must have authority to bind the corporation.  In order
to request a transfer, the Gaining Registrar must obtain Express
Authorization from an individual with the apparent authority to bind the
Registered Name Holder to the terms of transfer. Further, the form of the
express authorization is at the discretion of the gaining registrar."

This paragraph is not a discussion of how apparent authority is conveyed to
a registrar as you intimate below, but rather a factual statement
illustrating why the concept of apparent authority is an integral part of
the domain transfer policy and process in the first place. Try and get a
corporation to enter into a contract without bringing apparent authority
into the picture for instance.

Hope this clarifies.

-rwr