Re: [ga] ICANN conflict of interest policy and spousal employment

Gary and all assembly members,

  Indeed this COI of spousal involvement is beginning to smell rather rank
like a soiled set of diapers...  I again would suggest that the GA
members consider a resolution or motion to request or require
the ICANN BoD and staff to take immediate and decisive
action in accordance with their own policy regarding this
situation...

  I also personally agree with you last comment/gist regarding
the ICANN BoD's and staff's optical deficiencies.

Gary Osbourne wrote:

> At 10:23 PM 13/05/02 -0400, t byfield forwarded:
>
> >From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu>
> >
> >According to the transcript, the Board member who pushed the
> >Board away from non-profit was Robt. Blokzijl. See the transcript at
> >http://www.icann.org/accra/captioning-afternoon-14mar02.htm
> >
> >And guess what? Mr. Blokzijl has a special relationship to
> >Neulevel. His wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
> >they were married. Lynn Blokzijl is the Neulevel representative
> >in the Netherlands.
> >
> >Even if this is all "coincidence," it doesn't make ICANN look
> >very good. Mr Blokzijl had better recuse himself from the .org
> >redelegation discussion, decision and all other aspects of the
> >process.
>
> Arguably he should have recused himself prior to
> the .org discussion, given the potential conflict.
> Now that this has come to light, in most civilized
> countries he would resign. But that is if one is
> an elected official, and one is civilized. He can't
> claim ignorance of the need for recusal as he was
> one of those who did so regarding the new gTLDs:
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/tld-review-update-01nov00.htm#AvoidingConflictsofInterest
>
> Hmmm, Centralnic. They sell ccTLD/gTLDs:
> http://www.centralnic.com/page.php?cid=57
> By special appointment of Jon Postel no less:
> http://www.centralnic.com/page.php?cid=32
>
> One wonders idly if Blokzijl recused himself
> from discussions about reserving two letter
> sLDs in new TLDs (and in the .org redelegation).
>
> I don't suppose it would be in order for a motion for
> the GA to come up with a new marketing slogan for ICANN.
> Too bad. My vote would go to: ICANN - Not juat a spectacle,
> we're THE bad optics corporation. -g

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827