[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org

Barbara and all,

Barbara Simons wrote:

> Dear Dave,
>
> I looked up "slander" in the dictionary.  The definition reads:
>
> "The utterance or spreading of a false statement or statements, harmful to
> another's character or reputation: legally, slander is spoken, as distinct
> from libel, which is written."
>
> Aside from the detail that Milton's email was written and not spoken (at
> least as far as this list is concerned), an obvious defense against slander
> and libel is demonstrating the truthfulness of one's comment.
>
> Therefore, if Mr. Blokzijl's wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
> they were married, and if Lynn Blokzijl is the Neulevel representative
> in the Netherlands, then Milton's comments cannot in any way be viewed as
> either slander or, more precisely, libel.
>
> Do you happen to know whether or not Lynn Blokzijl was or is an employee of
> Neulevel?
>
> As others have said, the reason for conflict of interest rules is to avoid
> even the suspicion of inappropriate behavior.  I hope that the good folks at
> ICANN will quickly implement strong conflict of interest rules for all Board
> members and staff so that we can avoid such discussions in the future.

  Don't hold you breath on this one...  Although I recognize that hope
is the mother of all men and hope springs eternal, I hole little hope
for ICANN to do anything of any substance regarding conflict of
interest in my lifetime...

> Barbara
>
> P.S.  Even if Milton were wrong, which I doubt, anyone attempting to bring a
> libel case against him for this posting would be laughed out of court.  I
> would urge you to be a bit more cautious about accusing someone of
> committing a crime.  By your logic such an accusation, if untrue, could be
> viewed as libel.

  This is not a surprising reality given Dave's behavior on a number
of forums that I am aware of him participating on...

> On 5/13/02 6:00 PM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
> > At 04:10 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >> Now it is possible to understand better what happened.
> >> And guess what? Mr. Blokzijl has a special relationship to
> >> Neulevel. His wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
> >

> > You're great.  There is no limit to your willingness to slander people and
> > misrepresent or invent facts.
> >
> > What is particularly ironic, here is that the last time you sought to
> > pursue purported conflict of interest concerns it was YOU who engaged in
> > gross misrepresentation of the facts.
> >
> > So now you are directly asserting that Rob violated ICANN rules.
> >
> > Please document what he did that did not conform to Section 7 of the ICANN
> > Bylaws.
> >
> > Or are you more interested in inflaming emotions than in dealing with facts?
> >

> > At 05:34 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >> One does not refute concerns about a very clear and
> >> direct conflict of interest
> >
> > Since it so clear, you will have no difficulty documenting exactly how Rob
> > violated ICANN conflict of interest rules.
> >
> > This means that you will:
> >
> >        a) show the basis for claiming that spousal employment constitutes
> > conflict of interest in this case, and
> >
> >        b) show that Rob did not follow ICANN Bylaws Section 7.
> >
> > Until you document both of these facts, Milton, you are simply engaging in
> > gross slander, as is your wont.
> >
> > d/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827