Re: [ga] Procedure.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Alexander Svensson wrote:
>

>> About the 50 percent rule which you call "arbitrarily complex":
>> I cannot understand what you mean by that. If neither motion
>> is approved by a majority of the voters, you will surely
>> not consider them approved by the GA? Every motion obviously
>> needs more Yes than No votes and abstentions!
>>
> I find it inteesting that this 50% rule is suddenly being invoked to
> establish legitimacy in a GA vote... why has this not been the case to
> date with respect to GA votes?

Because, as I've repeatedly pointed out, until you get to the DNSO
Secretariat level, the GA has never had a set procedure for voting on
anything.  With the help of Vittorio Bertola and other good folks,
including yourself, Joop, etc., as I recall, icannatlarge.com was able
to carry out a clean, clear, definitive vote for the members of its
Panel (of which you became a member) with a minimum of confusion. The GA
has never been able to do anything like that, because it would rather
play politics.
Right up to some arbitrarily selected deadline people are piling in with
more "motions" or "RESOLUTIONS" or whatever; new, ad hoc procedures are
announced (and to which substantial opposition comes to be expressed),
and while there was some amount of debate and discussion, most of it
consisted of expositions of political positions rather than precisely
defined and targeted comment on specific motions. A vote will now be
taken, but without there having been the kind of discussions on which
knowledgeable and meaningful votes could be cast.

However, even out of that, there will come some kind of indication of
where all us folks want to go, in the same manner as I hope will soon be
carried out in icannatlarge.com (see my last post there), namely, does
everyone want to continue riding on the ICANN bus, or is it time to
start building anew.

Bill Lovell