[ga] Call for support until Monday 13th

Dear all,

would people who want the motion below to be included
in a GA vote please send me a short statement of
support privately (not to the list please -- I will
post the list of names when it is collected) to
<alexander@svensson.de> ? Thanks! As you probably
know by now, 10 (ten) supporters are needed to get
this included, and they are needed until Monday
13th, so please reply as soon as you can.

Whereas there are certain basic principles which have to be honored
        by an entity coordinating key Internet resources in order to
        gain the trust of the Internet community,

Whereas these principles include transparent process, broad input into
        policy-making, which must include meaningful individual
        and non-commercial participation, and accountability (including
        independent review of decisions),

Whereas there is a widespread perception that ICANN is moving away
        from these principles, in particular by stalling or abandoning
        processes for the implementation of an independent review
        system and for participation of the Internet community at
        large in ICANN oversight,

the General Assembly of the DNSO reminds the ICANN Board that it must
adhere to these principles in any reform proposal and make it
sufficiently known how proposed reforms provide improvements regarding
these principles. Should the ICANN reform process fail to provide
significant improvements in these regards, it is the international
Internet community's and governments' task to consider how all of or
parts of ICANN's responsibilities could be transferred smoothly to one
or more new or existing organizations which are accountable to the
international Internet community as a whole, have clearly defined
missions and are not only under the sole control of a national
department of commerce, without endangering the stability of the DNS
or the Internet as a whole. In the meantime, all groups of the Internet
community are 	called to deliver their input on reforms needed.

I have read Joop's friendly amendment and thank him for it
(http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc10/msg01011.html).
The essence of Jamie's motion in my view is that it is
addressed directly to the US-DoC and only indirectly to ICANN
(which is also why some people have raised concerns about
its scope). The motion above is addressed to the ICANN
Board and in the case that the basic principles mentioned
above are not honored, calls on the *international* Internet
community and governments. Joop's amendment would change
this into an appeal which again goes to the US Department of
Commerce -- this goes against the intention of my original
motion and I therefore prefer to keep the original motion
unchanged. (Of course it is also possible to offer an
additional motion!)

I have also received an email about the wording "without
endagering the stability of the DNS". I definitely understand
that people are tired of this phrase, but when we are even
considering moving the coordination of key Internet resources,
we should demonstrate that we are not only playing some game,
but are acting responsibly and have the stability of the DNS
in mind. I am of course aware that in a narrow technical
sense, we are talking about trivial keystrokes (e.g.
switching DNS root servers within minutes), but on the other
hand, we know that we are not talking about some purely
technical switching here. That's why I included the phrase
even though it has definitely been used a couple of times
too often.

Thanks and best regards,
/// Alexander