Re: [ga] An alternative motion text- friendly amendment

At 11:51 a.m. 10/05/2002 +0200, Alexander Svensson wrote:

>Whereas there are certain basic principles which have to be honored
>         by an entity coordinating key Internet resources in order to
>         gain the trust of the Internet community,
>
>Whereas these principles include transparent process, broad input into
>         policy-making, which must include meaningful individual
>         and non-commercial participation, and accountability (including
>         independent review of decisions),
>
>Whereas there is a widespread perception that ICANN is moving away
>         from these principles, in particular by stalling or abandoning
>         processes for the implementation of an independent review
>         system and for participation of the Internet community at
>         large in ICANN oversight,
>
>the General Assembly of the DNSO reminds the ICANN Board that it must
>adhere to these principles in any reform proposal and make it
>sufficiently known how proposed reforms provide improvements regarding
>these principles. Should the ICANN reform process fail to provide
>significant improvements in these regards, it is the international
>Internet community's and governments' task to consider how all of or
>parts of ICANN's responsibilities could be transferred smoothly to one
>or more new or existing organizations which are accountable to the
>international Internet community as a whole, have clearly defined
>missions and are not only under the sole control of a national
>department of commerce, without endangering the stability of the DNS
>or the Internet as a whole. In the meantime, all groups of the Internet
>community are   called to deliver their input on reforms needed.

I commend Alexander for drafting this alternative text.

One suggestion: to insert after "Should the ICANN reform process fail to
provide
>significant improvements in these regards,

>*as evidenced by unambiguous Board resolutions at the Bucharest meeting* ,
>(and change the rest of the sentence to a slightly more relevant)

it is the consensus of this Assembly that in that case the US DoC needs to
consider how all of or parts of ICANN's responsibilities could be
transferred smoothly to one
or more new or existing organizations which are accountable to the
international Internet community as a whole, have clearly defined
missions and are not only under the sole control of a national
department of commerce, without endangering the stability of the DNS
or the Internet as a whole.

I would favour that a motion amended along these lines, after due debate,
would be taken to a vote as well, along with motion #1.

(Caveat: I am not aware of any existing organizations capable to take on
ICANN's jobs that have a mechanism to be "accountable to the international
Internet community as a whole" and any New organizations starting from
scratch will immediately be subject to the same corporate dealmaking
responsible for ICANN's bootstrapping)

More debate on these substantive points is needed prior to the vote.

--Joop