[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN as a global regulator

Jamie and all,

  It is obvious and has been for some time that a significant number
of the ICANN BoD including Alexandra and the "Board Squatters"
are frequently inconsistent or out right dishonest in their intent
in word as well as indeed.  Alejandro's recent statements made
publicly are blatant evidence of this as you rightly point out
here Jamie.  Of course many of us recognized this some time
ago now...

James Love wrote:

> Alejandro, I think the policy making document was by far the most radical.
> You are proposing to have ICANN be a substitute for national regulation of
> Internet activities.  This is basically taken right from Vint's Internet is
> for Everybody paper.  How can you put out stuff like this, and then at the
> same time take about a self elected board of directors?   Jamie
>
> --------------
> On May 7, 2002, the Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform issued "Working
> Paper on the Policy-Development Process."  In the old days, ICANN denied it
> was a policy making body.  Now it is more confident, and issued most
> recently this working paper on the proposed new policy making process.  For
> example, ICANN believes "national regulatory approaches" for the Internet
> are not likely to be effective or efficient, but a "global private-sector
> body" could be.  And ICANN should not have to limit itself to implementing
> consensus recommendations, and indeed, with a 2/3 vote of its self
> perpetuating board, it could make enforceable policy decisions that are
> "significantly inconsistent" with "bottom up" consensus recommendations.
> Here are a few highlights, followed by more of the text.  Jamie
>
> *    "The fact is that the Internet, and its component part the Domain Name
> System, is a global resource. It is not amenable to multiple national
> regulatory approaches - at least if the goal is to allow the Internet to
> continue to provide ever more opportunities to ever more people at a
> relatively low cost. And in any event national regulation, given the nature
> of the resource, is likely to be ineffective. Thus, the options are some
> form of global governmental body, or a global private-sector body. There do
> not appear to be any other workable alternatives."
>
> *  ". . . a reasonable solution would be to have ICANN seek consensus
> whenever possible in developing policies, through processes and procedures
> that insure that all views of those affected are heard and that are open and
> transparent, and then to allow the ICANN Board to decide the issue based on
> its educated perception of the best interests of the whole community. To
> ensure that the ICANN Board did not lightly disregard any policy
> recommendation from a constituent entity, ICANN's bylaws could require only
> a simple majority to accept a properly documented consensus recommendation
> from such an entity, and a supermajority (two-thirds?) to take action that
> was significantly inconsistent with such a recommendation."
>
> *  "such a resolution would be effective (i.e. is enforceable) throughout
> the global resource that is the Internet. But if we assume those conditions,
> such an ICANN, it seems to us, would have great value to many (if not most)
> of the members of the global Internet community, even if the resolution of
> any particular issue may not be all to their liking."
>
>   More below on the new global regulator:

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827