[ga] Comment on ICANN Structure:

This mail addresses the document posted by the reform committee in general
(last question). It says the concerns it rises,  the consensus we might see
being progressively uncovered, and a proposed action point.

--------------

The work attempted is interesting, but proceeds from an analysis of
Stuart's document rather than of the Network System and of the world's
need. As such is its still oriented only toward a better management of the
ICANN's strategy.

I support the idea that this strategy is most probably wrong and that if it
is wrong it would be the main source of the problems described by Stuart.

I also support the idea - from daily observation - that the problems
reported by Stuart are only those he observed but not those he created, nor
many others the world observes and he lacks the culture and the view point
to observe (no critics intended).

I also support the idea that the considered Internet is just a TLD cluster
and an application set within the world's network system, and that the
priority is to establish the world's network system continuity, with a
proper inclusion of the Internet at its proper place, but also of all the
others application sets:
- through network systems technologies (radio, telephone, X systems,
Internet, automation, etc..),
- through network name space (Internet, telephone, geography, people names,
trade marks, IP, nomenclatures...),
- through legal understanding of network culture (names, address, rights,
protections, taxes, free speech, etc.),
- through cultures (languages, character sets, e-human rights, training,
digital divide, financing ...),
- though consumer rights proper evaluation and representation as consumers
are also the owners and the operators of the network system itself in the
Internet case.

This means a much wider investigation and a concertation with all the
involved parties, in many areas outside the current mission and territory
of the ICANN.

The analysis we carry, through various debates, http://wecann.com listed
propositions, the reform committee,  could show the progressive agreement
that the problems the ICANN faces are :

1. infrastructural

     hardware : numbering
     software : protocol parameters
     brainware : naming, new services

2. structural

     "mission creep" :
      - legitimate: what people need to address due to the network
      - to be considered: what the people need to address due to the way
ICANN addresses the network

      "territory creep": what the ICANN wants to address
      - which is of its scope as a service to a community gouvernance
      - which is not of its scope as a community dominance

with political, national, financial, dogmatic, historic, personal, etc.
issues about each of them.

If this is progressively accepted, my proposition would be now to identify
the real interlocutors (rather than general principles only, as if the
ICANN was alone in the outerspace) representing the infrastructural and
structural aspects, and to have them starting preparing concerted positions.

This means that the reform committee would prepare an ICANN proposition,
knowing that the USG, the EEC, the ccTLD, the RIRs, the Open Roots, the
WIPO, the ITU/T, the Post Union, the Consumer organizations, the GAC, etc.
will also prepare their own propositions for a gouvernance of the global
network continuum; where they will tell what they intend to bring, what
they expect from others and how they plan organizing themselves in that
context.

To that end, the reform committee could certainly take the leadership
(together may be with the most informed other parties: USG, EEC, ITU/T,
Consumers, ccTLDs, etc.)
1) to identify the concerned structures
2) and to propose them a concertation may be within the context of the
preparation of the World Summit on Information Society.

I think this would not delay the ICANN reform, and would help it to define
its own boundaries - as the ITU/T proposed to help with it - and its
mission framework. In taking a joint lead, the ICANN would make sure that
the interests of the Internet value added layer and application domain are
properly protected.

We have to accept that Lynn as ignited the rocket and that we cannot stop
it now. Either we are on board or we are not. But the countdown has started.

Jefsey Morfin

---