Re: [ga] Text of ballot question - JFC comments

On 18:56 09/05/02, James Love said:
>=======May 9 text=====
>The GA asks the US Department of Commerce

I would strongly suggest that we respect the decorum. So, International and
press may see this is not a revolutionary proposition be a serious and
consensual approach.. Most of the comment below should be "Whereased"

The GA asks the BoD to proceed jointly with the DoC to a review of the
various agreements to be reviewed on September 30th and the DNSO must
debate before that date.

The analysis of the different elements involved in the perspective of the
Stuart Lynn analysis and call for a reform, should lead to a clean sheet
analysis by the USG as the ICANN's "client". The DNSO is fully aware that
it could lead to a partial or total open competition for the services now
contracted to the ICANN, in particular for the Purchase Order, provided the
new competition would warranty the need to develop an international
framework, equal to all and as much as possible open to free enterprise, to
non-profit, to alternative network and consumer protection cultures and
legislations, and to developing countries, for the DNS management.

>to have an open competition for
>the services now provided by ICANN, provided that the new competition would
>address the need to develop an international framework for DNS management.

This analysis should also open and structure the debate concerning the IPv4
addressing scheme, its possible extension, the IPv6 deployment, and the
interaction with other numbering plans such as the telephone system or
X.121, the new work and missions in the area of the Whois and alternative
propositions, the associated directory plans, the DNS secure development
and of the possible ownership of some DNS functions by commercial private
interests, the nature of the ISO 3166 list an international reference in
the DNS not endorsed by any international understanding, the legal nature
of the domain names and of the value added services proposed by NSI, of the
coherence between the cooperative agreement and Purchase Order,  of the
ownership of the telephone numbers as names delegated under the terms
voted  by the telephone operators within the ITU/T, etc.

>The rationale for asking for

for being open or even asking for

>a new open competition is that

experience and demands from he market and the forms of response chosen by
the ICANN have lead the ICANN into what is commonly referred to as "mission
creep" and dramatically changed ...

>ICANN has
>dramatically changed the initial terms of reference for ICANN, and is
>proposing even further changes.

>These proposed changes have met extensive

question, proposition for alternative and

>opposition in the Internet community and go even further from the original
>terms of reference.

It is also supported that the natural mechanics of the network and he
performance of the Purchase Order in the original terms would produce a
totally different and much more favorable situation.

>The  new open competition  would allow the DoC to
>consider both the ICANN board proposal for restructuring,  and alternatives

often organized in different structures for a more reliable, a more
resilient, a more secure, a more professional, a more innovative a less
complex and expensive service of matters of different natures,

>offered by others for managing key Internet resources, while providing for a
>public record of the process for enhanced visibility.

>The GA also reminds the DoC, that in the Green and the White  Paper, the
>USG made it clear that
>it intends to withdraw from DNS management.

while a legal control and national security back-up solutions should be
considered that the present terms do not permit,

>An open competition should aim to achieve comprehensive privatization and
>internationalization of DNS services, consistent with the need for
>stability, but also innovation, competition and freedom.

at a time when technological changes requested by the enlargement of the
International network system to many new countries, technologies, ways of
use and needs, should lead to architectural innovations the rigid
organization of the present agreement seems to prevent.

jfc

---