[ga] ICANN Reform: Membership provisions

When one reviews the historical record and examines the competing proposals
put forth by ICANN, the Boston Working Group, and the Open Root Server
Confederation, one cannot help but notice the universal consensus on the
critical need for "membership".  Even ICANN reserved Article II in its intial
bylaws "for use when the Corporation has members".

Membership promotes accountability.  Current ICANN management has denied us
membership, and has denied us those rights that are accorded by way of
membership.  Our initial MoU with the Department of Commerce called for the
establishment of "membership mechanisms".  ICANN has not only denied us such
membership, it has acted to thwart every effort to seat an Individual's
constituency, and has acted to eliminate the representation provided by
At-Large directors.

Is this the type of ICANN that you want?  Are you happy having your rights
taken away from you, and watching as an elected representative At-Large gets
killed right in front of your eyes?  Does an organization like this deserve
to have its contracts renewed by the DoC?  A motion to recompete the ICANN
contracts makes our dissatisfaction with the current regime a strong factor
to be weighed by the DoC in its evaluation of the reform initiatives that
ICANN will produce.

We have a right to membership provisions and a right to democratic
representative processes.  Let the GA make its displeasure known.